Sunday, June 5, 2011

Learning Styles- CEP 810- Due June 4th


This online quiz was great! It describes me perfectly. I am Naturalistic, both Intrapersonal and Interpersonal and learn as a Bodily-Kinetic. I love moving around, exploring nature and reflecting on my actions as well as others. When I think back about my own learning experiences, I remember the learning strategies that were engaging and hands on. I remember the lessons that encouraged me to explore and think outside of the box. I loved working and collaborating groups. I feel that these lessons spoke to my personality and learning style. I use these lessons from high school as a template for how I construct my own. I believe that students learn from doing and having to problem solve on their own. Both of these were an integral part of my learning process and believe that many students learn this way.

Strategies that were least effective of my personality and learning style include the long-winded lecture and the busy work (read the chapter so we can discuss or the read the chapter and do the questions at the end). I LOVE reading but when it comes to learning from reading, I struggle. I feel that the lessons that have little student involvement I get little out of. I need to feel, explore, move around, and manipulate objects. Maybe this is the reason I went into science and physical education. I love labs and being active. I think that is what makes learning fun and engaging.

I realize, as an educator, that it is a challenge to focus on every learning style that we encounter in the classroom. I believe that the focus should be on maximizing the amount of optimal learning experiences. While it is extremely difficult to reach EVERY student that enters our classroom, we CAN create lesson plans that reach multiple learning styles. I believe that educators’ focus should be on construction lesson plans that provide multiple delivery methods, utilize various technological resources, give adequate feedback and allow students to have options in how they demonstrate that they understand the content presented.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting that readers find it more difficult to learn from the 'read the chapter' routine. My guess is that pleasure reading interferes with reading for information. We just want to enjoy the reading experience and not worry about being accountable for the content.

    ReplyDelete